Saturday, September 1, 2007

Use Your Gifts Well

Have you considered that… at the end of our time, Jesus may ask "What did you do with the gifts I gave you?" How comfortable would you be with the answer?

The gifts that God gave each of us make us unique. But we must remember to be generous with these gifts that God has given to each of us and use them to the benefit of others and not just ourselves. This is the challenge. We are reminded that “As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another as good stewards of God’s varied grace.” (1 Peter 4:10)

“A story is told about a schoolboy who was trying out for a part in the school play. His mother knew he’d set his heart on it, but she was afraid he wouldn’t be chosen. On the day the parts were assigned, she drove to school to pick him up. Her son rushed up to her, eyes shining with pride and excitement. Then he said some words to her that should remain a lesson to us all: “Oh Mom! I have been chosen to clap and cheer!

“If only we could live life with this schoolboy’s enthusiasm. The root of his excitement, of course, came from his deep trust in his director’s choice of a role for him that she felt would fit the boy perfectly!

“Our Master Director, Jesus Christ, has chosen parts for us to fulfill in the ‘play of life’ that fit us perfectly as well. But often we, as the actors on stage or as a part of the behind-the-scenes crew, grumble and complain because we don’t understand how vital our part is to the total performance. Whatever our role, the whole play would be lacking if we weren’t doing what we were created to do.” (Phyllis Bennett, “Discovering Your Spiritual Gifts”, Zondervan Publishing House, 1998)

Pope John Paul II tells us to offer this prayer that we may use our gifts as God intended:

“Loving Savior, I want to open my heart to the widest horizons, but I always seem to hold back. I am afraid that I will have to give too much. Help me learn to trust that you will never ask more of me than I can give. I need your gift of generosity.” (Walking in the Light: 30 Days with Pope John Paul II, Twenty-Third Publications and Pope John Paul II Cultural Center, 2004)

No comments: